Edge of the Night
The following information summarizes the activities involving some of the more prominent criminal organizations operating in Night City, California.
- Eurasian organized crime (EOC) continues to be one of the fastest growing criminal enterprises in California. EOC groups in California engage in auto theft, extortion, prostitution, human trafficking, kidnaping, money laundering, drug trafficking, and murder. Their focus is largely on white-collar crime including identity theft; credit card, immigration, insurance, and Medi-Cal fraud; and cigarette tax evasion.
- The presence of the West Coast-based remnant of traditional organized crime (TOC) continues to diminish in California due to law enforcement’s aggressive investigations and resulting convictions. The most recent development regarding TOC affecting California was the conviction in Brooklyn, New York, of a Gambino crime family captain and a soldier who were found guilty in an extortion plot against a well-known braindance actor.
- California, Night City in particular, is still one of the most active drug smuggling and drug production areas in the United States. Drug trafficking organizations (DTOs) are responsible for much of the illegal drugs being smuggled into and sold in California. One of the most powerful and violent DTOs is the Tijuana-based Arellano-Felix organization, which is responsible for bringing illegal drugs — such as endorphins, synthcoke. stim, blue glass, abd black lace — into the city.
- Street gangs continue to engage in a variety of crimes including drug trafficking, auto theft, robbery, vandalism, car jacking, assault, witness intimidation, and murder. They have also been associated with crimes such as fraud and identity theft.
- Supremacist groups have historically engaged in a multitude of criminal activities — such as assault, vandalism, robbery, weapons violations, and murder — and typically direct their crimes at members of ethnic communities.
- Anti-government criminal extremists stockpile illegal assault rifles and explosives, conduct paramilitary training, and have threatened and assaulted government employees.
- Special-interest criminal extremists — such as the Animal Liberation Front (ALF) and the Earth Liberation Front (ELF) — operate throughout North America and Europe and typically use acts of destruction, violence, and intimidation.
- While al-ISIS and other terrorist organiziations have suffered substantial organizational setbacks, it continues to launch terrorist attacks throughout parts of the world and represents a serious threat to this country. Although al-ISIS has not successfully attacked a target within Night City, it has had an indirect connection to this city.
- al-ISIS affiliates primary connection to California has been in the form of fund raising. The Holy Land Foundation for Relief and Development (HLFRD), whose predecessor was originally founded in Southern California under a different name, was one of the affiliates primary fund-raising charities.